News: SMF - Just Installed!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Raglan Shire ForumsGeneralSecond Life Tips & TricksTopic: Software for making mesh clothing, potential use in Second Life
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Software for making mesh clothing, potential use in Second Life  (Read 4563 times)
Romaq
Friend of the Shire

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »

Ok, you peeps... please check out this YouTube making a simple dress in 5 min. using a program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YhqnfQCmOc

Now, forget about how the dress might not look so good, but think of the potential! http://blogs.secondlife.com/thread/50789?start=0&tstart=0 is the current SL forum where that program is being discussed for potential use within Second Life. Do keep in mind mesh still does not do 'flexi', like flexi-prims. Skirts that are supposed to bounce and flounce will still have to be done the current 'traditional' way. And if you are going to use mesh stuff with Tinys, that's going to be... complicated. I'd be very happy to chat with someone who's working on mesh stuff on how mesh-wear for Tinys might work, though I have my sights set on a bit different of a project.

Anyways, given our fashion show yesterday, I thought it would be cool to see this and consider the possibilities. Smiley
Bo Fiddlesticks
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »

Hi Romaq, I moved this post to 'Second Life Tips & Tricks' Smiley

Otter of all trades
Romaq
Friend of the Shire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »

Ok, cool! I wasn't sure where best to put it, and it really isn't in SL 'yet'. But it's something cool to think about, and the message thread shows the effort being put into using the software. Smiley
Bo Fiddlesticks
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:50:41 PM »

"Way off topic" seemed inappropriate anyway Wink

Otter of all trades
Romaq
Friend of the Shire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

http://blogs.secondlife.com/thread/46782?start=0&tstart=0 has some more clothing, not necessarily done with the software, but just with mesh within SL. Flexi-Skirts are *STILL* going to have to be made of normal prims with flexi settings. The mesh can handle more detail than the sculpties so you can use fewer sculpties. The only drawback is that mesh 'can' be tied to the avatar bones, and I'm not sure if that will work so well the way we have our avatars animated. I do have to wonder though... suppose someone made an upsidedown miniskirt on a 'biggie', then weight the skirt to work opposite the bone rigging for thighs. Then when the avatar is folded, the mesh skirt would bend following the legs, and the 'mini-skirt' would become a proper full length dress. Does this make any sense? Has anyone been working on this sorta thing?
RowaynWarwillow
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »

I took a look @ the video Romaq posted the link to and didn't see that the Marvelous Designer has options to export to *.dae (which is the mesh compatible file SL uses). 

I've looked into LOADS of off-world programs that can be used with SL to create 3d things:
* Blender (I use)
* Daz3d
* Hexagon
* Google SketchUp
* Maya ($$)
* Studio3d ($)
* Z-brush ($$)
* Sculptris (I use - it's Z-brush's lil (FREE) brother)
* Archepolis (spelling may be off on this one)

Basically, if if can't export into *.obj or *.dae, it's essentially worthless and not worth time (or money).  Object Files (*.obj) MUST be converted to a *.dae (Collada) file so SL can "read" it properly. 

I also use (and have heard of) several inworld tools (some I use), but that's a whole other post.

It's possible to make mesh for Tinies, it's just not easy. 

Building for SL never is "easy" ... =)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
 Raglan Shire ForumsGeneralSecond Life Tips & TricksTopic: Software for making mesh clothing, potential use in Second Life
Jump to: