News: SMF - Just Installed!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Raglan Shire ForumsGeneralWay Off TopicTopic: Any one know how the SL web chat works?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any one know how the SL web chat works?  (Read 1567 times)
Raymond Nightfire
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:51:01 AM »

A few days ago I got a notice from one of my groups in SL about a web chat system, if this is anything like what Steam has, it should help me rejoin some of the antics of Raglan Shire, even if its only a small amount.

This also means that there is a chance that the firewalls blocking me from logging into SL might have a leak to allow at least group chat through.  Cry

If anyone has more information on how this system works, let me know, I'm tired of this isolation.  Cry
Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »

What are the firewalls? Are you in the military or on a campus with a restrictive web policy?

The only thing I can think of that is similar to this is the Radagast viewer, which is non visual, its a text only viewer, allowing people to chat and such when they cannot otherwise see things going on.
Caleb Kit
REAG
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 08:47:18 PM »

Hiya Raymond,
What Chronometria said si correct.  http://radegast.org/wp/
Is a chat only client for windows and linux.  The developer just announced that they will no longer be supporting it but that it is open source.  Word is it still works and it is on the approved SL client list.
Then you have the phone clients.  Lumiya for Android. Pocket Metaverse for iPhone.
There is also a new software server client like SLGo was until it got bought by Sony.
https://www.brightcanopy.com/
It is a web interface that you run the SL viewer or Firestorm viewer via a web page. The viewers are in their cloud. They got overwhelmed when it opened last week. It is USD$17 a month.  You can get to the website and run on WinXP, Linux, old Mac, etc. Anything with a reasonably up to date web viewer.
I hope this helps,
Take care Ray.
Raymond Nightfire
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:11:17 AM »

The firewalls I mention are on a public library network and they block quite a few things, the main thing that still works is basic web browsing and even then I still have to deal with website filters.  Sad

As for that text based viewer, I may have to look into it when I don't get a busy week, I can't use the smart phone based ones since I have a cheap government phone that only has basic features.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
 Raglan Shire ForumsGeneralWay Off TopicTopic: Any one know how the SL web chat works?
Jump to: