News: SMF - Just Installed!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Raglan Shire ForumsGeneralHow do I...?Topic: How do I toast a Waffle?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do I toast a Waffle?  (Read 2636 times)
Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »

Dear colleagues,

I has embarked on great adventure of toasting my first, first life waffle. Here is pic of waffle, which I has purchased and also Butterscotch sauce. I will records my adventure here, for posterity, especially as last post on "how do I" was in 2011, so about time we woke forums up.

First I purchased waffles and sauce - here dey is, with me in background on the screen so you can see that this is true and not cunning facsimile.

Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:23:37 AM »

Ok - instructions on the back of pack show dese is toaster waffles. This is where it get tricky, it says to toast dem for 30 seconds on low setting.

Now, a we all know, toasters has many different settings, so this is where element of risk comes in. It possible dat waffle will be undercooked and soft or overcooked and hard.

On consulting with Raglan experts, dey say dat waffle got to end up a bit like toast, not soft like a crumpet, so I going to check toaster settings to examine options. Will post pic of toaster next.
Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »

Crisis - here is pic of toaster and as you can see, there is no setting for "low power", only timer, defrost and "bagel". Biggies clearly values bagels above waffles and thus I is now in uncharted territory, having only got control over the time dat the bagels will be toasted for.

I has extensive experience with this toaster and it pretty good for crumpets, toast and even the odd scotch pancake or potato farl, but never tried it with waffles. On the setting, 4 mins does a proper toast, 3 does soft toast.....so I am thinking one minute or two.....but I cannot know which is best until it tries and that comes wid element of risk. I may lose two of the waffles to error - next stage is to attempt the toasting - as you can see from the chat comments....my life depend on dis being success.

Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »

Update - Initial Results Good

I decided to toast the waffle without any settings, but for 30 seconds as the packet recommended. This way, if it was not good, then I could always extend the time and it turned out that this was wise - 30 seconds was not enough.

I entered the waffle for another 30 seconds of toasting and could see that this was enough, as light burning was starting to occur on the waffle edge in one spot. The waffles was then removed for the ultimate test  - the Nom test.

Here is a picture of the waffles with sauce applied.

Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »

Nom Test - Positive!

Eatin de waffle was quite an experience. The butterscotch sauce was a good choice and as I shared some waffle with my family (sharing important), they commented that they would eat dem with cream and other alternatives (they is seasoned waffle eaters).

Waffles is remarkably filling and two was pretty good. Just to be sure, I ate another two and am now totally stuffed. The texture of the waffle was a strange thing....it not crispy like toast, but instead more like a sort of delicious crunchy sponge cake. The shape of the waffle helps trap the sauce, which is great because on a scotch pancake the sauce goes all off the edge. Waffles is clearly an evolution in food.

Now I appreciates much more the world of the Tiny and why they sees waffles as food and not as mere treats. I heartily recommends them and in the future, I tries advanced methods of cooking and will compare. Thankyou for reading and sharin dis experience wid me.

Chrono - Amateur Wafflologist.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:21:16 PM by Chronometria » Logged
Copper Mistral
REAG
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »

*appaws*  A most excellent and worthwhile endeavor!

Excuse me.. Er, Excuse me.. I, I believe you have my sock.
Zayn Till
REAG
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 01:44:40 PM »

lol...timer, defrost and Bagel XD

OSSM Experimentation! Results looked excellent...  SCIENCE!!!! Cool
Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »

Thankyou for these positive replies. It was fun experiment to do, as well as tasty. It was surprising how many people seemed uncertain on the details of waffle preparation and my family had heated debate on subject once they overcame puzzlement of why I was taking photos of food all round the house.

Waffles is significant, perhaps most significant, part of Tiny life, apart from their generous and helpful nature, so it helpful, I feel, to step back and appreciate their complexities from time to time. As a new Tiny, I also felt that establishing a bond with waffles was a key to taking a place in the Raglan community.

It easy to "talk the talk" but I needed to "nom the nom".
Subby Nitely
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »

Dis was a very good waffle toasting tutorial. Howeber my favorite waffle additives are butter (I prefer Kerrygold butter cause it ish from enchanted cows) and Maple syrup (real maple syrup from vermont not da fake stuff)
Bellini Cazalet
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »

*2 paws WAY UP*  Awesome tutorial Chrono n' congratulations on you first waffle experience!  Next time try it wif real mapley syrup, total nomification satisfaction.  *nod nod*
Kylinn
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 04:15:37 AM »

Regular butter and syrup is the way I learned to eat waffles but thick cream is good, also fruit toppings like strawberries is nom and if you is chocaholic could also drizzle chocolate over dem. Important thing is that perfect place between too soft and burned and I think you experimental method a good way of figuring dis out. Is personal taste - some like a little softer, some wif some crunch. Waffles is like Tinies - plenty of variations possibles but always gud.

Life is complex; it's partly real and partly imaginary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
 Raglan Shire ForumsGeneralHow do I...?Topic: How do I toast a Waffle?
Jump to: