News: SMF - Just Installed!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Raglan Shire ForumsCommunity Involvement - Wanna be involved? Go Here!Ideas!Topic: Writers contest idea/ proposal
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Writers contest idea/ proposal  (Read 1622 times)
Kath McGill
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »

I have an idea regarding an event that might be interesting for the shire to participate in.

The idea is to have a writing contest for a short story (no less than 20 pages of a complete story but no more than 25 pages) (8x10 - 12 point times roman format)

the winner of this event will have their book published in world for them to distribute as they wish, and a prize of  1000 lindens.
the entries would be voted on by the tinys and the votes submitted via note card (one vote per tiny)
 the event would run for 3 months - 2&1/2 months to write the stories, and 2 weeks to vote on it.

at this time the publishing fee and the 1000 linden prize have been taken care of, if there are any donations for this, the additional funds would be divided up for other place (2nd  3rd place winners)

All works must be original , and not published prior to entry into this event. the first few paragraphs of the works may be placed upon a prim to show what the story is about. the rest of the work will be placed on note cards and placed into a prim to be read by the tinies prior to voting.

all authors must be a tiny of raglan shire in good standing.
all who vote on the stories must be a member of raglan shire.
authors may vote for their own work.

there is only one vote to be made , not votes for 2nd 3rd etc. The other places will be filled by the number of votes gathered.

in case of a tie, it will be the decision of the judges to determine the winner. (or winners)

I can't be bribed... Not even with chocolate, ice cream, or peach pie... (say, you going to do anything with that? Nom nom nom nom.. ) Nope. Still no bribe. Oh, is that Cookies you have? (Snarf) Where were we? uh, yeah, fine, right, Nope, Natch, can't bribe me... Mmmm, that waffle looks mighty tasty
Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:05:07 AM »

This sounds like a good idea. It may be worth considering lowering the page count though.

As to judging, I am unsure if such an thing should be voted on by all tinies - I would prefer a panel of selected judges. Otherwise there is too much risk of it becoming a popularity contest and while that is ok for a silly competition, this is much more of a serious thing.
Chronometria
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »

New Babbage is doing a flash fiction competition at the moment with a 750 word limit, that sounds more achievable I feel.
Kath McGill
Friend of the Shire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:51:09 PM »

well, 20 pages was chosen because it makes a pretty nice sized book.  the pages are formatted then screen captured and uploaded.

One of the things I learned from when the elves had their writing contest, the entries were only given numbers, so that people who were reading them could vote on just the number and the author wasn't known.   I've also participated in events with judges and that actually became more of a popularity contest than anything which left people scratching their heads on how some things could be *that great* when it clearly wasn't.

Now, if people really wanted judges, I know of several RL authors that would probably be happy to assist in reading over the materials, (and while they are members of Raglan shire, they are not the day to day tinies that we see all of the time, just supporting SL people. But I would far rather have the tinies decide what they like the best, and I feel that the tinies would be fair and impartial when it came to voting for what they liked.

I can't be bribed... Not even with chocolate, ice cream, or peach pie... (say, you going to do anything with that? Nom nom nom nom.. ) Nope. Still no bribe. Oh, is that Cookies you have? (Snarf) Where were we? uh, yeah, fine, right, Nope, Natch, can't bribe me... Mmmm, that waffle looks mighty tasty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
 Raglan Shire ForumsCommunity Involvement - Wanna be involved? Go Here!Ideas!Topic: Writers contest idea/ proposal
Jump to: